Thursday, November 7, 2013

I'm Dating Again

When it comes to friends I've always liked the saying,
"I'd rather have 4 quarters than 100 pennies."

I consider myself to be a really good friend, and I have really good friends.  But I've been thinking lately- how often do we make new friends as an adult? After college you get a new job and make a few friends, but after that- do we really meet many new people?

That is, until you have kids. It's hard because once you have kids the friendships start out about the kids and you sit back and watch each other parent. Then it's time to evaluate whether this is someone you would want to call a friend.

Now I feel like I'm dating all over again. Specifically, I'm dating two women. 

My first 'other woman' is my neighbor. She lives 2 doors down and has a daughter L's age and is due in Dec. with a little boy. We've gotten the girls together a lot over the last few months and I've really enjoyed our time together. We haven't gotten together as families (though we've each tried once), but I wonder when/if it will turn into the two of us doing things by ourselves. It's tough to not over-do it with trying to be friendly, but I don't want to see stand-offish either. I really want her to be my best friend- haha - because it's so convenient. Right now it's hard because my C is still miserable when I'm not around, but I'd love to go out for drinks some night- maybe after she has the baby so she doesn't think I'm just using her as a DD.

My second 'other woman' is a girl I went to high school with. We were never friends in high school and don't really have many mutual friends. A few months ago I sent her a FB message to ask for ideas of what to do with L in the area. She invited us over to play with her and her little girl, who is  a few months younger than L. Well, our relationship has taken off. We parent very similarly and really get along. After we hung out last time she sent me a text and told me that I was 'refreshing' and that she really liked spending time with me. Okay, that sounds weird, but it wasn't- it was like a guy saying he enjoyed that night's date. So yesterday she took it to the next level and asked me to hang out without the girls. I couldn't because germs have infested our house and everyone's sick, but I was really excited to get invited out.

Okay, so this sounds like I'm pathetic. But really, when is the last time you made a new friend that you didn't go to high school, college, or work with?

4 comments:

  1. Dude making friends as an adult is hard! It totally feels like dating. You don't want to come on too strong but at the same time, you don't want to seem like a cold hearted bitch. Good luck with your lady dates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I second everything Amanda said. That's probably why I have no friends lol.

      Delete
  2. making friends as an adult sucks. and it was years of living in this area before I made girl friends becuase the only women I ever met were girlfriends of my husbands friends and they already had their own friends so they didn't want to hang out only with me, and then they would break up with said boyfriend and we'd never see each other again.

    it wasn't until I met my dear 'book club friends' that I really felt like there were people in this area that I could truly connect with.

    and i'm sure that will all change again when the baby comes, like it or not.

    A
    therowdyroberts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't speak for everyone else but you aren't getting rid of this book club friend by having a baby!

      Delete